Dockweiler State Beach: Beach Bonfire Bingo

Beach Party Bonfire
Not my friends, but you get the idea.

Some of my girlfriends and I have decided to throw a beach bonfire party. This fit of inspiration came after a Sunday brunch as we walked along a Playa del rey beach to settle the food in our tummies. We have wanted to throw some sort of gettogether but something different and fun. We missed the summer for a beach party so why not accommodate the earlier fall evenings with a bonfire night?

The only beach that allows bonfires is the Dockweiler State Beach where there are fire rings. I had thrown a birthday party on Dockweiler before during the summer years ago and it was one of my best memories. Just gathered my closest friends (and those willing to trek to the beach) and set up a barbecue, played some volleyball, danced around the fire pit like a bunch of crazies and toasted some smores until the fire went out. Another time I went to Dockweiler was on a nice little date where, to fend off the cold gusts of wind, we cuddled under a big blanket and toasted hot dogs AND smores. Always with the smores.

But now this beach party guest list will take on bigger proportions. So to keep it simple, we’re going to have everyone bring a Duraflame log/firewood, beverages (no alcohol allowed on the state beach ::cough:: flask ::cough::) and maybe their favorite takeout. There’s free parking along Vista del Mar or in the paid lots which are closer to the beach and you don’t have to get a beach permit unless you have 50-plus people in your party. The only thing that concerns us is the weather which is so unpredictable off the beach. Will there be fog, cold winds, or will it be fine? Just in case, I suggested everyone bundle up and bring blankets.

The beach doesn’t take reservations for the fire rings so it’s first-come, first-serve but in the fall, I don’t think we will have a problem snagging a good spot.

8255 Vista del Mar
Playa del Rey, California 90293
(310) 305-9546
Hours: 7am to 10
pm

10 Responses to Dockweiler State Beach: Beach Bonfire Bingo
  1. Veronica
    November 5, 2006 | 8:26 pm

thanks i was researching for info on these pits and you gave me all the info i neede to know thanks a lot

2. Caroline
    November 7, 2006 | 2:35 am

Yay! Glad to help.

3. regina
    April 27, 2007 | 9:24 pm

wow I was also looking for fire ring info..THANX! s0unds fun!

4. ani
    February 7, 2008 | 9:45 pm

oo tnx so muchhh

im having a b day this saterday
    [16]

and imma do a bonfire there

its makes me more excited now
    :]

5. david
    August 23, 2009 | 9:16 pm

How strictly do they enforce the time here?

6. […] 94) Bonfire at Dockweiler Beach […]

7. Rachel
    September 11, 2013 | 5:13 pm

I called about doing a bonfire beach party, however they said it’s tough cause you have to get there really early with the “first come first serve” and that there are only 20 pits and they fill up quick. I really want to do this, but leading into the evening hours (early afternoon till evening), however it means we have to get there early as heck to hold a spot if we can get one??? Then wait all day for our friends to come??? That is the only thing concerning me, did anyone have any issues with this? What did you do? I would hate to send an invite out for a bonfire beach party and then I never get a fire pit. Any feedback on your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Caroline on Crack
      September 17, 2013 | 7:19 pm

Yeah, we would go while the sun is still up, maybe two or even three hours before sunset. But it’s been awhile so I don’t know if the firepits have gotten even MORE popular since the last time I went which was several years ago. If anything your best bet would be planning something for an off-night, a weeknight. Or swing by the beach on some night before your party at around the time you want to schedule it and see if there’s a crowd?

8. Stephanie Johnson
    October 22, 2013 | 11:46 am

Hello COC,

I was wondering did you bring your own bbq grill and how big was it, did you set-up tables? Also is that the contact info to the beach at the bottom of your post?

9. […] Bonfire at Dockweiler Beach […]