L.A.'s Buzz Over Downtown's Seven Grand Bar

Picture 2.png
It’s no secret that I loves me some whiskey so I was excited to hear that Seven Grand, a new whiskey bar, opened up in Downtown L.A., especially one that’s put together by the Golden Gopher peeps. And sure there are vodka bars, sake bars and wine bars, why not whiskey? But then I heard about it from UrbanDaddy, then Daily Candy, friends emailing me about it and so on and so on… Talk about overselling. I do wanna check it out but judging by all the attention it’s getting, maybe I’ll wait til things die down before I order myself up a stiff one.

Since that probably won’t be for awhile, I wanted to put all the preview excerpts in one place for my (and your) convenience. (No full reviews yet, ‘cept one on Yelp).

Curbed LA: “Old Irish bar feel. Very big whiskey selection. Walnut bar, pool tables. And apparently there’s a nitrogenator, which is some kind of fancy-pants draft beer delivery method which people go nuts over.”

Daily Candy newsletter: “Only blocks from owner Cedd Moses’s other joints, Golden Gopher and Broadway Bar, the English lodge/library-looking gem on the second floor of the old Brock’s Jewelry Emporium is all dark wood, rich leather, plaid carpeting, and friendly taxidermy.”

Downtownnews.com: “Similar to the Gopher and Broadway, Seven Grand will feature a smoking patio, flattering lighting (which is to say, dark), no cover charge and spacious ladies bathrooms. ‘Friendly service without attitude,’ Moses adds, ‘and geared toward Downtown regulars and not the boring Hollywood crowd.'”

Gridskipper: “The atmosphere is lodge kitsch, with relics from the jewelry store and taxidermy from the cafeteria that previously occupied the premises.”

LAist: “DJs spinning old-time jazz, 200 choices of whiskey, and a dark mellow vibe with a twist of a thirty something crowd is making the old Clifton’s Silver Spoon location another reason downtown nightlife is coming abuzz. Seven Grand, named after its nearest intersection, just opened this month and it feels as if it has been here for ages.”

Thrillist:

• A secluded back room, a pool table, and a smoking patio — so the guy who hustled you at pool has an airy place to light his cigars with your money.
  • A rare-to-downtown live-performance permit, and a partnership with the bookers behind Silverlake’s mainstay, Spaceland. Upcoming plans include hipster indie rock nights, and traditional Irish, drunken-brawling music.

UrbanDaddy newsletter: “Speaking of spirits, you can choose from more than 125 whiskeys or try a flight. If you’re feeling adventurous (and we trust you are), sample the rare, 30-year-old Macallan scotch (at $120 a glass) or the George T. Stagg (unfiltered, uncut, 140 proof).”

Seven Grand
515 West Seventh Street
Los Angeles, California 90014
(213) 614-0736

22 Responses to L.A.'s Buzz Over Downtown's Seven Grand Bar
  1. hollywood
    April 19, 2007 | 6:21 am

Coincidentally, I was just there on Wednesday night. Very sweet. They haven’t had the official grand opening yet, so things were quite mellow between 6:30 and 9:30. It’s a good Ronnie Klein remodel. It’s civilized but not stuffy. They have an incredible selection of bourbons and scotches. A mini debate occurred on the merits of Bullet Bourbon (cool oval glasses it’s served in). Music was low. Jazz, yes, but at one point I heard the Pogues (one bartender in white shirt, vest and tie sported a mohawk, which sorta resonated with all the antlers on the walls). They have some kinda special ice cube machine (from Japan?) that cranks out these cubes that are actually hard, clear cubes. Indeed, when ordering drinks on the rocks, customers would specify how many of these very slow melting cubes they wanted in their liquor. Check it out now.

2. hollywood
    April 19, 2007 | 6:43 am

Oh, show me the way to the next whiskey bar
    Oh, don’t ask why, oh, don’t ask why
    Show me the way to the next whiskey bar
    Oh, don’t ask why, oh, don’t ask why

3. hollywood
    April 19, 2007 | 7:27 am

Did I mention that the handicapped stall in one of the W.C.s has its own private marble-topped vanity which is just the right height for…. Bartender, can I get a bucket of those lovely ice cubes?

4. Gbert
    April 19, 2007 | 9:05 am

I managed to wander in on opening night (but not the Grand Opening) before the massive hoopla got out about it. According to the GM (who was working the bar that night), they had just finished construction earlier in the day.

The bourbon/whiskey/scotch selection was pretty good. A Kentuckian wandered down with me to partake in the fine Kentucky bourbon and he was impressed by the breadth of what was available. The bartenders were pretty friendly but were struggling to find everything on the menu above the bar. Supposedly they rearranged the bottle order right before opening. Probably not the best idea.

Good ambiance (if not a smidgen too dark), good tunes, nice spot to kick it after work, if I worked anywhere near there. The chairs and tables were all covered in leather and are rather comfy. We were talking with the bartenders about the pool table thing and were disappointed to learn they were putting them in the main room, which would break up that nice open area they had to stand around and talk / dance in.

Anyways, it’s definitely worth a look but maybe not till after the hype dies down a bit. I think the concept works a little better when it’s not packed to the gills (or horns in this case).

5. Chris
    April 19, 2007 | 9:29 am

I think I saw it in the March or February issue of Los Angeles magazine, too.

6. Caroline
    April 19, 2007 | 12:04 pm

Thanks for the reviews, guys! Yeah, I’ll look into it in the next month or so. Meanwhile I’ve got some Jameson at home to keep me company.

7. hollywood
    April 19, 2007 | 4:11 pm

They’ve got way better than Jameson. Why wait?

8. Caroline
    April 19, 2007 | 6:16 pm

Well, maybe I’ll go on an off night. Is there one?

9. hollywood
    April 19, 2007 | 6:34 pm

Sure, early in the week. Of course, if word gets out that you’re coming the paparazzi will be there in force.

10. Caroline
    April 19, 2007 | 7:56 pm

Then maybe I just won’t tell anyone (shhh, next Thursday).

11. K.
    April 19, 2007 | 9:16 pm

Thanks!!!
    This will be a headline news for the next week 🙂
    I need to go and check it and review it.
    Thnx

12. K.
    April 20, 2007 | 1:20 pm

Oh,It was really a nice bar.
    Really cute and a little bit dark, but that’s the best for whiskey.
    They did have a large selections of Whiskeys ( daa) but I didn’t found my favorite one.
    The prices are really ok. They start from 7 $ for the single malts and 11$ for the 10 years old and so on.
    Good staff and aimable people.

I didn’t like the patio, well the patio was really good, but in front of it was this old building with no windows and really dirty…but Helas,. the WHiskey was good.
    I would reccomend the Green Bushmills, ( 10 years Old).

13. erin
    April 25, 2007 | 8:30 am

just visited last night–it was quite delightful. Barely a crowd, bartender claims that the “real” opening is May 10, so now’s just “soft”. Enjoy it while ya can!

14. hollywood
    April 27, 2007 | 8:21 am

[shhh, Thursday] Didn’t see you, but I saw the Lakers win, saw a couple order in a nice looking pizza, heard some good sounds from a DJ and had some really good bourbon.

15. Caroline
    April 28, 2007 | 12:57 am

Hollywood, I didn’t go this Thursday but I’m definitely planning on next Friday at 7:30. You down?

16. hollywood
    April 28, 2007 | 7:18 am

Mais oui!

17. […] OK, this isn’t a formal happy hour or even a wine bar bus tour, just a casual invite to all my crackheads. I’ve been meaning to check out the new bar Seven Grand ever since I heard about it. So tonight I’m going to meet up with crazy Andy from LAist, possibly Erin of Erin’s Kitchen and throw some whiskeys back. Come on out and enjoy it before it gets crazy after its official opening next week! […]

18. […] I wonder if anyone has fallen down those stairs at Seven Grand yet? It just opened last month with its official debut last Thursday, but mixing whiskey, scotch or bourbon with four flights of dimly lit stairs can’t be good. AND there’s no elevator. I guess that’s one way to ensure that people won’t drive home drunk. […]

19. […] Aidan, the general manager of Seven Grand, set us up in the huge corner booth next to the bar. He had originally wanted to put us up in the private Jackalope room but I wanted my party to be out and about and able to enjoy the bar and mingle with the other patrons, so where we were was perfect. […]

20. Deborah
    July 9, 2007 | 2:05 pm

Since when does going from the second floor to the first include four flights of stairs?

It’s a handful of steps. Whatever. It’s not such drama.

Mint Juleps with Makers? Manhattans with Rye? I was in heaven.

21. Caroline
    July 9, 2007 | 2:20 pm

Well, I’m saying a flight equals a set of steps of which there were four. And going up ain’t a big deal but going down after several whiskeys is a feat in heels. Thank goodness for the rails and friends.

22. […] Damian, cocktail artist/mixologist at Seven Grand: “working at seven g. catching up on the time away but, i promise to make it spooky.woooooooooooooo.” […]