100 Things To Try in LA Before You Die

45) Ride the Pacific Ferris Wheel at Santa Monica Pier

To-dos pictured are bolded in the list below.

I don’t pretend to be the ultimate expert in all things in LA but a reader had put this challenge to me after reading similar lists on San Francisco’s 7×7 and on a San Diego food blog. So here’s 100 things to try in LA before you die — my very personal list of recommendations of how I think one could best enjoy LA; what every Angeleno should eat/drink/do in our fair city before you die (or move).

A lot of these I’ve tried before. And, yes, foodies may pooh-pooh me for some of the selections but most are things that made me really appreciate living here while others are LA landmarks and/or still on my to-do list. And then there are those on the list that are so unique to LA.

Feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments! Listed in no particular order. Cocktails are in red. And if you’re so inclined, you can either print the list here or see a map here.

NOTE: Please do not repost this list in its entirety. To do so is in violation of Creative Commons. You can excerpt it but you need to also link to it. Thanks.

1. Cocktail punch at the Radio Room in the Edison
  38. Blue cheese fries at Pete’s Cafe and Bar
  39. LA Conservancy’s Historic Core walking tour
  40. 21+ screenings at the ArcLight
  41. Secret beef feast at Totoraku
  42. Moonlight Rollerway
  43. Bartender’s Choice at Comme Ca
  44. Tomato, mozzarella, sausage, salami, bacon & guanciale pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
  45. Ride the Pacific Ferris Wheel at Santa Monica Pier
  46. Late-night Danger dogs
  47. Bet on a horse at Santa Anita racetrack
  48. Loco Moco (foie gras loco moco, quail egg, spam, hamburger) at Animal
  49. Blood & Sand cocktail at Tiki Ti
  50. Tea and a stroll through Huntington Gardens
  51. Drive Sunset Boulevard from Echo Park to PCH in a convertible
  52. Double chocolate croissant pudding with Jack Daniels sauce at Milk
  53. Hike from Fern Dell Drive to Mt. Hollywood, stopping at Griffith Observatory
  54. Meatball sandwich from Bay Cities Deli
  98. Sunset dinner and horseback riding with Sunset Ranch
  99. American Food & Wine Festival
  100. Hike to the top of Sandstone Peak and sign the register
104 Responses to 100 Things To Try in LA Before You Die
  1. Noelle
    May 12, 2009 | 8:28 am

Caroline – this is an awesome list. Thanks! I’m now curious about this San Diego list – do you have a link?

Thanks dude.

2. Dave Bullock
    May 12, 2009 | 8:41 am

Great list!

May 12, 2009 | 8:43 am

Thanks, Dave!

4. H.C.
    May 12, 2009 | 8:59 am

Nice list — and no poo-poo ing from me here, I love a great deal of non-food/non-drink things around L.A. as well :)

and I don’t think I’d have the patience to put together a list of 100 myself so kudos to that!

5. Tian
    May 12, 2009 | 9:42 am

Now I can die happy. Thanks Caroline!

6. chiwan
    May 12, 2009 | 9:54 am

great list but…

a los angeles list with no mexican food???

i’m a korean, but having the only taco be a korean taco…i don’t know about that.

May 12, 2009 | 10:11 am

Tian,
    Thanks for the great idea!

chiwan,
    Actually I have the carne asada burrito from Central Market in there. But honestly I don’t know what’s the “best” Mexican food in L.A. Lots of great places. Do you have any suggestions?

8. emilia
    May 12, 2009 | 10:18 am

I did #28 and almost cried on my way back. Those cross winds should be called curse winds.

And you’ll find great Mexican food at a lot of places, but Mexican food is regional too so it depends what you like. I call the basics “border food”.

Tortillas at Pacos Tacos are amazing and fresh.
    Beans at La Playita are awesome.
    Ceviche at the Rose Ave/3rd St. truck is sooo frickin’ good.

I have yet to find my favorite Enchilada or Chile Relleno.

9. Dre
    May 12, 2009 | 10:45 am

My personal Fave’s for Mexican food in LA are (in no particular order):

Don Antonio’s on Pico & Barrington – soft or hard tacos, cheese enchilada, chile rellano and a side of beans…mmmm

Paco’s on Centinela & Washington – hard tacos, quesadillas, fajitas, or just get the homemade (in front of you) tortillas with butter!

Tacos Por Favor on Olympic & 14th – mahi mahi or carnitas tacos! YUMMM

I also hear that Tito’s taco’s on Washington Pl & Sepulveda is to die for.

10. Dave
    May 12, 2009 | 11:14 am

Seeing as I’ve only done a quarter of these, I’m holding you personally responsible for filling in the other 75!

And Mexican? Tito’s as Dre mentioned, and Cactus on Santa Monica and Vine for the post-party hangover preventative at 3 in the morn!

11. Matty V
    May 12, 2009 | 11:14 am

Awesome list!

Going to hang this on my wall and start crossing things off this summer!

12. samkim
    May 12, 2009 | 11:37 am

I think for tacos Yuca’s or El Taurino.

I can also think of Amoeba, your favorite old star at the Walk of Fame, one of LA’s famed breakfast spots/cafes (Huckleberry, BLD, Square One, Griddle, Toast, Joan’s). Eat at a “trendy” celeb restaurant (although I would prefer classy over trendy and pick CUT or Spago)

Ethnic eats alone take up quite a handful…

don’t forget the getty/getty villa! (not to mention you only pay for parking!)

13. Annie
    May 12, 2009 | 11:46 am

THIS IS AN AMAZING LIST! I’m LA born & raised and I have yet to do some of these things. Bravo on #22 and 27. :)

14. Aaron
    May 12, 2009 | 12:02 pm

Impressive list Caroline I like how you avoid any of the tourist traps.

15. fauxLAhipster
    May 12, 2009 | 12:42 pm

Fantastic list! didn’t know you were going to map it too, wow!

16. Carrie Robertson
    May 12, 2009 | 12:56 pm

Love this list! I miss eating out at night…darn kids. =)
    Here’s my G-rated version for families:
    “101 Memory Making Adventure for a Childhood in Los Angeles”

17. jeffro
    May 12, 2009 | 12:56 pm

wow. Great list, but *serious* bonus points for the google map. THAT is how it’s done!

18. Kim
    May 12, 2009 | 12:57 pm

I also second the tacos from Tito’s Tacos in Culver City! Also, being sung to by the waiters at C&O’s Trattoria in Venice Beach.

19. lindsay
    May 12, 2009 | 1:02 pm

wow, this is incredible!

i’ve done 2, 4, 8, 9, 10, 18, 21, 22, 26, 33, 38, 45, 47, 50, 62, 65, 68, 70, 82, 83, 89, 90, & 93. looks like i have my next 20 years here all mapped out! thanks for putting this together…what a great tool to give to out of town guests or to use on a day or night when you feel like “there’s nothing to do!”

20. Scott
    May 12, 2009 | 1:25 pm

Definitely have to add Tito’s Tacos to the list there. You can’t go to LA and not have Mexican food!

21. Audrey
    May 12, 2009 | 1:53 pm

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble, but Tito’s hardly qualifies as Mexican food. The only way to really enjoy Tito’s is drunk. If that’s the case, I can just as easily go to Del Taco or Jack in the Box. If you seriously want good tacos get out to Echo Park/Highland Park/East LA. Casa Downtown has some pretty bomb tacos, too. I don’t even want to get started on Don Antonio’s…seriously who serves warm, mushy nopales? I’ll leave it that.

22. djjewelz
    May 12, 2009 | 2:08 pm

Two things to add off the top of my head

Monster Shaved Ice @ Ice Kiss
    MacDaddy and Cheese Balls at 4a @ Fred 62
    A #1 @ Golden Deli

23. Jessica
    May 12, 2009 | 2:25 pm

I didn’t know Tiki Ti had the Blood and Sand — I thought that was the signature drink at the Dresden. Who knew? (I’d add that to my list.)

Also, the godmother at Bay Cities is better than the meatball sub, to my way of thinking, but you can hardly go wrong with either. Awesome list!

24. yolanda evans
    May 12, 2009 | 3:22 pm

great list. i’m for sure going to all the booze related one. i did pass it along to a few people

25. yolanda evans
    May 12, 2009 | 3:22 pm

26. yolanda evans
    May 12, 2009 | 3:22 pm

27. yolanda evans
    May 12, 2009 | 3:22 pm

28. Michelle
    May 12, 2009 | 3:25 pm

This is great! I’ve been trying to use my (unplanned) unemployment to get to know my city better, and this is great inspiration!

29. chiwan
    May 12, 2009 | 3:30 pm

i’m a big el taurino/king taco fan, but…

recently, i’ve started going to this taco stand on the corner of 7th and Wall. it’s in the parking lot of an old car wash.

it’s called Lalo’s. LOVE IT. their carnitas taco is awesome. HANDMADE TORTILLA! you can see the big mound of masa. $1.50 per taco.

thanks again for the list!

30. Priya
    May 12, 2009 | 3:33 pm

OMG no Tommy’s Chili Cheese Burgers?? It’s right up there with Pinks and Carneys!

31. WalkinInLA
    May 12, 2009 | 3:37 pm

Awesome list! Thank you! Duly RTed after reading it on @guykawasaki.

32. ted byrnes
    May 12, 2009 | 3:40 pm

wow. i have to say, thats a pretty perfect relatively compact la list. very very well done

33. Maxx
    May 12, 2009 | 3:57 pm

1. Very good list.
    2. I’m going to study it in detail and report back.
    3. Can we be friends?

34. Dot
    May 12, 2009 | 4:06 pm

Thanks Crackhead! I have done many of those things, mostly the food adventures and realize I have many more adventures to conquer! I posted a RT for my followers! Thanks again! Cheers!

35. Maxx
    May 12, 2009 | 4:18 pm

#80 Courtside seats at a lakers game? really? that’s over 2 grand a ticket to watch a bunch of guys chase a ball around for a few hours.

It seems like the total odd one out. What about walking from highland park to chinatown on the walking path next to the pasadena freeway? or watching the Oscars at the Powerhouse across the street from them? or exploring the tunnels underneath UCLA?

36. Stephen Blackmoore
    May 12, 2009 | 4:19 pm

Wonderful list. I’ve got a few crossed off already. I’ll have to get cracking on the rest.

37. lucindamichele
    May 12, 2009 | 4:25 pm

Very, VERY impressive. Good work!

38. Dot
    May 12, 2009 | 4:31 pm

Ok, after i replied to this great list, I read the comments. I will eat anything on a tortilla. I have eaten at Casa, since i work downtown, and it is good. Nothin stellar in my humble opinion. The meat was not fresh – cooked/prepared and left in pots under a light until you order – unless you get the Al Pastor, spicy pork pan fried in small batches. The tortillas are thick, handmade, tasty, but too much with the dry meat (i had the chicken, pre-pepared and dry) and the price is way high (10 bucks for three mini tacos).
    In this area, Grand Central Market has many ethnic varieties, but i alwats eat the tacos. My favorite there is a particular place – obviously too excited about eating the food to even catch the name. The stand, three quarters of the way into the market on the south side (from hill street) is the place, and the tacos there are 2.50 each, but equal more food than the whole plate from Casa – and you get extra tortillas!
    My utmost favorite taqueria is in Hermosa, and is co-owned by Fletcher, of Pennywise. Las Muchachos – Many say get the especial, my bf loves the charbroiled chicken burritos, ME…always the chicken enchiladas, or crispy shredded beef tacos. Trust me, nothing fancy, but you will not be disappointed. Parking sucks on the weekend, after all, it is at the beach!
    Always well worth the trip!
    My next favorite is called Teresa’s Mosaic Cafe in El Segundo. The mexican lady is making dough and rolling tortillas right in the dining room. Its a small dining room, but the food is good. It is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
    Cheers!

39. Dot
    May 12, 2009 | 4:34 pm

Hi Caroline, sorry for som any comments.

Follow me on twitter too: Pwbandit

40. Dot
    May 12, 2009 | 4:34 pm

Hi Caroline, sorry for so many comments.

Follow me on twitter too: Pwbandit

41. Esther
    May 12, 2009 | 6:06 pm

This is list is the shiznit. That is all. (Also completely agree w/not keeping to just food and drink.)

42. andy
    May 12, 2009 | 8:00 pm

Caroline, this list is rad. Omigod I’m sooo hungry now!

May 12, 2009 | 8:39 pm

Thanks, everyone! I wanted to respond to everyone individually but so many! Anyway I’m soo happy by the reactions this list has gotten. It was definitely fun (and hard) to do. And if it could help people appreciate our fine city then my job is done. :) BTW I’ve done 51 out of the 100.

44. Silamith
    May 12, 2009 | 10:00 pm

Love this! :-)

45. Silamith
    May 12, 2009 | 10:00 pm

Love this! :-)

46. Silamith
    May 12, 2009 | 10:00 pm

Love this! :-)

47. hollywood
    May 13, 2009 | 10:02 am

You may have to retire, Caro. You won’t be able to top this list!

48. hollywood
    May 13, 2009 | 10:03 am

But go ahead and try!

49. Marni
    May 13, 2009 | 10:27 am

I’ve shared this with a ton of people. So comprehensive!

I’d like to add: eat mole at Guelaguetza Restaurant

50. byrneout
    May 13, 2009 | 12:28 pm

Speaking of Angel City Derby Girls, they’re hosting a two-day flat track tournament this weekend featuring eight leagues from all over California. Come out and support ACDG and your other home town choice, the L.A. Derby Dolls! http://www.thebigonetournament.com/

51. Saucy
    May 13, 2009 | 2:55 pm

hey,

great list…but 21! that place is foul! what about the pantry?

stay saucy…

52. Oldsalt
    May 13, 2009 | 3:50 pm

pinks if for tourists and valley day trippers
    scoobies is for locals

May 13, 2009 | 3:55 pm

I put Pinks on there because I’ve been meaning to go there ever since I moved to LA back in 1991, before those crazy long lines of tourists.

54. shampoo
    May 14, 2009 | 2:39 am

awesome list!

i wonder if it would be alright if i re-posted your list with the things ive done starred ala all those popular meme thingies on facebook?

i would of course have a link to your web site in my post.

May 14, 2009 | 7:30 am

Shampoo,
    Great idea! I’m not well-versed in Facebook technology so I created the list in my notes so people can cut and paste into their own notes and put a star next to the ones they completed.

56. jenni/waffles
    May 14, 2009 | 10:22 am

epic list! love it

57. Alice Yoo
    May 14, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Thanks for the very awesome list. I’ve linked it out to my Facebook friends and put it up on My Modern Metropolis. You’re my favorite LA blogger! :)

58. hollywood
    May 14, 2009 | 4:19 pm

Nickel Diner is not foul. It’s cool.

59. Lizette
    May 14, 2009 | 4:46 pm

Thanks for the list! I’ve never been to LA, but I’m planing on going for my 21st b-day the end of June. I’ll keep this awesome list handy! ;-) Thanks!

May 15, 2009 | 12:43 am

Jenni,
    Thanks!

Alice Yoo,
    Aww, thanks so much! You’re sweet.

Hollywood,
    I agree. Esp. those doughnuts.

Lizette,
    You’re going to do everything on your birthday? ;)

61. DTLA
    May 15, 2009 | 1:14 pm

With so much to choose from, everyone has their own opinion on where the best Mexican food in Los Angeles is… I will say this though, a place everyone must try at least once is found in East LA on Everygreen Ave, at a place called el Tepeyac Cafe. The toddler sized burrito, known as the Manuel Special, comes smothered in a stewed pork sauce and is large enough to feed an entire family.

Also, as another addendum to your amazing list Caroline: a must see for everyone before they leave LA is blues legend Micky Champion sing at Babe and Ricky’s Inn in South Central.

62. foo'
    May 15, 2009 | 1:16 pm

Wow. What an incredible to-do list! Thanks for the inspiration!

63. sanyu
    May 18, 2009 | 10:09 am

This is a great list. Thanks for sharing.

64. Ariel
    May 19, 2009 | 9:12 am

USC offers campus tours that give a glimpse into some of LA’s most historic landmarks, including Widney Alumni House—the university’s oldest structure and a California Historic Landmark. They are free & last 50 minutes and run 10-3. 213-740-6605 tours@usc.edu

Also Los Angeles Ballet is LA’s own professional ballet company and they perform at venues across Southern California throughout the season. visit: http://www.losangelesballet.org for more information.

65. Kate
    May 19, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Great list! I think I’ve only done 14, but I would argue that #27 isn’t possible with all the new flavors!

66. Khoi Nguyen
    May 23, 2009 | 8:46 pm

I’m going to frame this list and refer to it every time I’m looking for stuff to do! You’re an expert in my book, thanks Caroline!!

67. Walter
    May 25, 2009 | 4:27 pm

What about a ride on Angel’s Flight or a ride down Fargo Hill?

68. valerie
    May 26, 2009 | 5:42 pm

you will not regret #3… been there many times and i order it everytime

69. Lorene
    June 9, 2009 | 2:35 pm

I would have to say…THE APPLE PAN! Get a hickory burger and apple pie a la mode! It’s a LA institution like Philippe’s! I have done 21 of your list with about 10 more I plan to do soon! Good Job.

70. Edward Kaneshiro
    June 19, 2009 | 2:18 pm

I got about 15 off my list. I think I need to get out more! For someday I should complete this list maybe over the weekend. :)

1) Cocktail punch at the Radio Room in the Edison
    38) Blue cheese fries at Pete’s Cafe and Bar
    39) L.A. Conservancy’s Historic Core walking tour
    40) 21+ screenings at the ArcLight
    41) Secret beef feast at Totoraku
    42) Moonlight Rollerway
    43) Bartender’s Choice at Comme Ca
    44) Tomato, mozzarella, sausage, salami, bacon & guanciale pizza at Pizzeria Mozza
    46) Late-night Danger dogs
    98) Sunset dinner and horseback riding with Sunset Ranch
    99) American Food & Wine Festival
    100) Hike to the top of Sandstone Peak and sign the register

Come back to you later

71. BAM
    June 22, 2009 | 1:06 pm

I love this list but wonder if anyone knows of a secret guide to LA that chronicles very unknown gems of this city. For instance, the free nacho table at El Cholo in Santa Monica. (It is very close to the kitchen so as a consolation they give you free nachos). Does anyone know of more of this kind of stuff? I would also add a latte from Intelligentia to the list. Best in the city!

72. Sheila | Live Well 360°
    August 2, 2009 | 2:17 pm

Whoa, this is amazing. Thank you. I am new to Santa Monica, so this list gives me something to shoot for. Up until now, I have been attempting to check out the scene, but had no real game plan. Now I have a fantastic check list!

Sheila

73. Bellamia
    September 28, 2009 | 9:07 pm

how come I do not know all these great places to see and taste. I have beem a shut-in for 32 years, Now I see there is life out there, help me guide me. I WANT to taste the world out there

74. Bellamia
    September 28, 2009 | 9:08 pm

75. Carly Mizzou
    November 2, 2009 | 6:18 pm

This is a great list! I have printed and the adventure continues!

76. Saucy
    December 3, 2009 | 5:59 pm

hey,

as always, great list,but I have to say Nickel diner & father’s office are horrible and the staff have attitudes that match! What about The Pantry, Playboy jazz fest, a swim & steam at the LAAC and 33 at Disneyland.

stay saucy…

77. Ducky
    January 20, 2010 | 2:41 pm

Only have 17 completed, 83 to go…

78. [...] the famous Magic Mojito which I listed as #25 on my 100 list of things to do in L.A. even though I hadn’t tried it yet, was admittedly not my favorite. I love the [...]

79. john
    February 8, 2010 | 4:24 pm

big wangs!

80. Tim
    February 25, 2010 | 5:02 pm

I know you have the meatball sandwich from Bay Cities Deli listed, but I don’t think you can leave off the Godmother. I have had both and the Godmother is the real gem. Maybe you have to include them both in the same line!

• Caroline on Crack
      February 25, 2010 | 5:03 pm

Yeah, apparently the Godmother is the sandwich to have there. I haven’t had it yet. I’m just a big fan of the meatball sandwich. :)

81. Brian Huntington
    March 3, 2010 | 5:14 pm

You haven’t had the Godmother at Bay Cities and yet you’ve been there?! Unbelievable! Otherwise, very strong list. I like #50, but I’m biased–my grandfather actually lived there for a bit as a kid.

• Caroline on Crack
      March 3, 2010 | 11:34 pm

Yeah, it’s too much meat for me but you’re right. I really should give it a try.

82. Rin
    March 22, 2010 | 4:50 pm

Miss Caroline,
    My husband and I went to Ramenya on the weekend and it was extremely disappointing. Maybe they have changed chef? The Ajo Garlic Ramen was served with pork instead of chicken and the ingredients used didn’t seem fresh. Also the gyoza we ordered was store-bought and came straight out of a freezer bag. Maybe it was just a bad day? Thought you should know.

• Caroline on Crack
      March 22, 2010 | 4:51 pm

Oh that sucks. I hate it when good places jump the shark. Good to know. Thanks.

83. Kham
    April 23, 2010 | 12:03 am

Here is a great site i created to share your bucket list http://www.sharebuckets.com

Check it out.

84. [...] my friend Caroline compiled her much talked-about list of “100 Things to Try in LA Before You Die” last year, she turned to a few fellow Angelenos and friends for some suggestions.  After [...]

85. [...] the blogger who made it her goal to complete my L.A. bucket list within the [...]

86. Gigi
    July 24, 2010 | 8:15 am

You forgot to put on your list.
    “Have a Hollenbeck burrito at Manuel’s El Tepeyac”
    Hop louie i could live with out.

87. Bonnie
    August 5, 2010 | 1:41 pm

Great list! I have been in LA for 8 years and there are still a few on there I have never heard of. The place I am always refering folks to is Porto’s Cuban Bakery. Sure, you have to drive to Studio City or Glendale, but the food and the prices are soo worth it.

• Caroline on Crack
      August 5, 2010 | 1:42 pm

Thanks! Yes! I LOVE Porto’s. Great suggestion. If I updated my list, I’d add that bakery in. It’s always packed for a reason.

88. [...] media; full disclosure!) and will share my opinions afterward.  Caroline on Crack has it on her LA Bucket List and Yelpers have given it nothing less than 5 Stars.  If you can?t make it this time around, [...]

89. Food Blog News Weekly Round Up: May 19
    November 14, 2010 | 9:16 am

[...] in LA and are looking for something to do (before you die) LA Food blogger Caroline on Crack gives her bucket list of things to eat and do in [...]

90. mario
    November 24, 2010 | 1:27 am

You must try buffalo chicken pizza from jacopos in Beverly hills..best pizza ever

91. Jordan
    December 16, 2010 | 11:20 pm

Great list!
    I’d add the following:
    101) Tuna truffle oil at Wa (crack!)
    102) Papas breakfast burrito from Tacos Villa Corona
    103) Bet on a horse at Hollywood Park racetrack
    104) Rum at La Descarga
    105) Pig candy at Lou on Vine
    106) Pasta Mama for brunch at Hugo’s
    107) Anything at The Greek Theatre
    108) Bacon wrapped matzoh balls at Gorbal’s
    109) Halloween Weho street parade
    110) Onigiri (japanese rice and seaweed snack) at Sunny Blue
    (I’m limiting myself to 10, this is too much fun…)

92. [...] Musso & Frank Grill: What makes this classic drink so special, you ask? Because 1) it was on my L.A. bucket list and 2) legendary bartender Manny — who’s served the likes of James Dean, Bette Davis, [...]

93. Vanessa
    February 6, 2011 | 1:31 pm

I just had to say great list. Only thing missing is the garlic chicken at Versailles, the Stinkin Rose, and free Friday jazz at LACMA from Spring – Fall.

94. Vanessa
    February 6, 2011 | 1:34 pm

Oh, and I almost forgot! A drink at the Abbey in WEHO.

95. [...] LA’s Best Blog Post of the Year “100 Things to try in LA Before You Die,” Caroline on Crack [...]

96. haru
    December 13, 2011 | 10:11 am

Angel City Derby Girls and no mention of the LA Derby Dolls? How sad!
    Roller derby is best on a banked track!

97. [...] 100 Things To Try in L.A. Before You Die This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← GPOYW – You can see my shadow somewhat. It still counts. The butterfly was outside of our building j sitting on the porch all morning → [...]

98. Lia
    July 10, 2012 | 9:56 pm

Add Parasailing over PCH to the list!!! available at marina del ray