BottleRock Downtown Now Serves Beer Floats

IMG_6691

Guess what? BottleRock in Downtown now serves BEER FLOATS! Just this week they started selling hand-made ice cream from Milk Creamery to serve as dessert to Jared Levy’s (formerly of Blue Velvet and Providence) fine cuisine so they thought, why not beer floats? Why not, indeed! And what makes this, dare I say, better than the Golden State’s float is that not only is it $7 as opposed to $8 but you have your selection of beer-ice cream combos to choose from.

• Old Rasputin Cherry Bomb Float
  • Allagash Curieux Vanilla Float
  • Ommegang Rouge Cherry Bomb Float
  • St. Bernardus ABT 12 Coffee Toffee Float
  • OR mix and match your own!

How did BottleRock come up with these fantastically inspired combos? Lots of experimenting and taste testing every combo possibility by Jared, beer guru Alex Macy and the kitchen staff. I want that job!

If you’d rather just have the ice cream, you weirdo, it costs $9 for three scoops and there are only three flavors: vanilla gelato, espresso toffee and fresh cherry sorbet. So Golden State is one up on the fact that they have more ice cream flavors and that it’s Scoops to boot.

So guess which float I had? If you guessed St. Bernardus ABT 12 Coffee Toffee float you know me too well. This is sooo much better than the Rasputin float at GS in that the beer is much smoother with none of the bitterness of the Imperial Stout, which was initially jarring. Rather, the St. Bernardus’ sweet, rich aroma blends well with that coffee flavor and its creaminess complements the toffee nicely. So far my favorite beer float ever. And at the end, you have this wonderfully creamy head on the beer with bits of chocolate-covered toffee to spoon out of the bottom of the glass. Drooool.

The only thing is that while GS’s float was served in a pint glass with scoops of ice cream, this one was served in a fancy and smaller beer glass (think: small Pina Colada glass) with smaller dollops of ice cream. But I’m not going to hate on it for that. Yay! Another reason to eff the diet!

BottleRock Downtown LA
1050 Flower Street # 167
Los Angeles, California 90015 (map)
(213) 747-1100

11 Responses to BottleRock Downtown Now Serves Beer Floats
  1. Food GPS
    June 17, 2009 | 6:19 pm

Great description of your beer float. That’s definitely worth bolding. Looking forward to comparing The Golden State and BottleRock versions.

2. Esther
    June 17, 2009 | 11:46 pm

What is this world of beer floats I’ve been missing out on?! Time to rectify… Salivating.

3. Kristin
    June 17, 2009 | 11:55 pm

We have beer floats too! We will also be doing a float flight this summer with our fruit lambics.
    POP Champagne & Dessert Bar in Pasadena.

Can’t wait to check out the great combos at Bottlerock!

4. Steve
    June 18, 2009 | 10:59 am

Wow…it’s pretty shocking how restaurants will just snag cool original ideas from people and then use them to get press! Maybe they figure they are far away from Garden State that it wont effect their business but still…This is just the beginning of the beer float trend. There will be a beer float on half the menus around town by August.

Good coverage and pic, just bummed to see the lack of originality from operators.

June 18, 2009 | 11:01 am

Steve,
    Actually I first heard about the beer float at 8 oz. So who knows where it really originated. I’m just grateful it’s out there now. And I’m going to do it up for my bday party!

6. Steve
    June 18, 2009 | 2:40 pm

Agreed, it’s a cool idea, allagash cureiux vanilla float is bound to be amazing, i work right down the street so definitely checking it out. It’s actually a perfect R-rated birthday treat instead of b-day cake.

June 18, 2009 | 2:43 pm

Steve,
    You work right down the street? Lucky! That’s an awesome area. Of course if I worked there I’d probably take a lot of lonnnng lunches.

8. Steve
    June 18, 2009 | 3:06 pm

Yeah there has been so much growth in South Park the last year, Rivera is crushing it of course, corkbar is great, bottlerock, magnolia, mother road, L.A.Live etc.. all good stuff..now more people need to move their asses down here.

I run the cocktail bar across from Rivera… sadly we haven’t met.

9. Ken
    June 19, 2009 | 9:23 am

Yummm. I hope those are on the menu at the culver city location.

10. Noelle
    June 19, 2009 | 2:22 pm

Y’know, just due to description, I might have to try one. I normally really don’t like beer, but I’ll try a beer float, due to your recommendations, along with a bunch of others. Great!

11. L.A. BEER BLAST A21 - Food GPS
    April 5, 2014 | 10:13 am

[...] Caroline on Crack loved her first BottleRock beer float, which combined St. Bernardus ABT 12 and Coffee Toffee. [...]