Matt Biancaniello by Caroline on Crack

Bartendor Mentor Matthew Biancaniello

It’s no secret how much I love cocktails but the ugly truth is I really have no idea how to make them, except a Manhattan, that is. So I figured why not enlist the help of my bartender friends to teach me how to make my own damn drink for a change? Forget bartending school! This way I could learn special techniques and methods from the best in Los Angeles. So my “Bartender Mentor” today is one of my favorite bartenders in the city, Matthew Biancaniello, a mixologist at Hollywood Roosevelt’s Library Bar who is all about thinking outside the box. He’s gotta have some special techniques, right?

In this video we learn how to make the Breeder’s Cup, Matt’s take on the Gordon’s Cup. He usually serves this cocktail with an oyster, and it’s fabulous. The beet horseradish and salt complement the oyster perfectly. You can make this drink at home for a special brunch or just enjoy it on your yacht.

Here, Matt also shares where he gets his bar ware, fresh produce and even ice, also why a plastic muddler is better than a wooden one.

I’d like to say this video is going to be part of a professionally made series for my blog but my brother (the director and film editor) is usually pretty busy so who knows when he’ll have free time to do another one like this. But that won’t stop me from shooting and hacking together my own videos. So stay tuned! Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Cheers and happy drinking!

Breeder’s Cup
By Matthew Biancaniello of Hollywood Roosevelt’s Library Bar

• 3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 3/4 ounce Monin agave syrup (not agave nectar)
  • 1 bar spoon of beet horseradish
  • 2 ounces of Hendrick’s Gin
  • Cucumbers
  • Sea salt

1) Muddle 3 or 4 slices of cucumbers that are sliced 1/4-1/8-inch wide with the agave syrup and lime juice in a cocktail tin.
2) Add beet horseradish and Hendrick’s Gin. Pour in a scoop of ice and give it a 10-count shake.
3) Strain it over a large cube of ice in a rocks glass. Slip a thin cucumber slice on the side of the ice and sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on the ice cube.

11 Responses to Bartender Mentor No. 1: Matthew Biancaniello of Hollywood Roosevelt’s Library Bar
  1. Food GPS
    March 31, 2011 | 3:54 pm

Great first video. The first thing I saw was that it runs almost 5 minutes, but the video never dragged and you kept up good energy. Looking forward to the next one.

March 31, 2011 | 4:00 pm

Thanks! Yeah, I was worried about it being 5 minutes, too, but my bro did a good job with it.

3. Michael / South Bay Foodies
    March 31, 2011 | 4:08 pm

Me and all of the South Bay Foodies give the video and the cocktail 75 thumbs up (lawn mower accident!). That beet horseradish sounds amazing! Mainly because I like beets and horseradish, but never though of putting the two together. Sweet.

March 31, 2011 | 4:10 pm

Aww, thanks! Yeah, that drink had some kick and spice. Very tasty and, as I said in the video one too many times, so pretty!

5. Thirsty in LA
    March 31, 2011 | 4:13 pm

I want one right now! Great video, looking forward to future installments.

6. Jennifer
    March 31, 2011 | 4:32 pm

Me likey! Yeah, it actually felt very short. You packed a lot in there, but not in a bad way. That cocktail looks so good. Not really the types of ingredients I have lying around the house, but a good idea for an occasion. It actually looks like the perfect thing to make for a cherry blossom picnic this spring.

March 31, 2011 | 4:35 pm

Thirsty,
    Thanks! Hopefully I can make it happen and with a little bit of frequency.

Jennifer,
    Aww, you and your cherry blossom picnic. Jealous. It would look very pretty amid the cherry blossoms, actually.

8. Adri
    April 1, 2011 | 11:43 am

Wow, Caroline! Too cool! Really neat to see you learning from the pros that you’ve been writing about. Keep up the great clips when the timing works out 🙂

Looking forward to the next one already!

9. TreasureLA
    April 1, 2011 | 4:00 pm

Excited about this feature. Turned out great.

10. […] Last summer I took a crack at recreating Matthew Biancanielo’s (formerly of The Library Bar at the Roosevelt) The Breeder’s Cup cocktail, which was one of his most well known drinks. I have to say it came out really great and pleased all my guests but of course, it was nothing compared to the masters. You can find the recipe for this on Caroline on Crack’s blog from a few years back in this post : http://carolineoncrack.com/2011/03/31/bartender-mentor-no-matthew-biancaniello-of-hollywood-roosevel… […]