What’s going on this weekend, including stuff you can do with your momma.
Saturday, May 12
LA Vegan Beer Festival 2012
You don’t have to be a vegan to appreciate the delicious fare and brew at this annual beer fest. In fact you’ll find new favorites from breweries like Stone, Golden Road, North Coast and Firestone Walker. Indulge in animal-free food from the likes of Tony’s Darts Away, Mohawk Bend, and various food trucks. Four live bands will rock out to keep things festive. It IS at the Roxy after all. And at the end of the day, all proceeds from the event will go to the California Wildlife Center.
- 12-5pm. $50. Roxy Theatre, 9009 W Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood (map). (310) 278-9457.
Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery and Barnsdall Eat. Drink. Art
Now this sounds like a great date night: Beer and wine tastings with Eagle Rock Brewery and City Sip, music spun by a KCRW dj, food trucks (Coolhaus, Flatiron) and even a photo booth for fun souvenirs. Oh, and lots of culture as this evening will feature demos, live performances and art installations, including an inflatable sculpture. I’m guessing NOT like a bouncy castle.
- 7pm-12am. $25. LA Municipal Art Gallery, 4804 Hollywood Boulevard, Los Angeles (map). (323) 644-6269.
Cinespia’s First Screening of the Season: Strangers on a Train
What better way to kick off a season of cemetery movie screenings than with a Hitchcock flick? It’s an oldie but goodie, and for those scared of black and white movies, it’s in fact what the 1987 Billy Crystal/Danny DeVito flick Throw Momma From the Train was based on. Pack up your picnic stake sets and other outdoor screening paraphernalia! Just leave the tall chairs at home.
- Doors open 7pm, movie 8:30pm. $10. Hollywood Forever Cemetery, 6000 Santa Monica Boulevard, Los Angeles (map).
Sunday, May 13
Silverlake Wine’s Mother’s Day Tasting With Sparkling Wine and Cake Monkey
Want instant points with Mom? A tasting with sparkling wine and Cake Monkey desserts is the way to go. Nom! This special Mother’s Day tasting will pair Cake Monkey’s lemon pistachio tea cakes, salted chocolate caramel cookies and more with sparkling wines from Italy and France. I’m guessing (hoping) you don’t have to be a mom or bring a mom to partake.
- 3pm. $20. Silverlake Wine, 2395 Glendale Boulevard # A, Los Angeles (map). Reservations required: (323) 662-9024.
City Tavern’s Not Your Mother’s Day Beer Brunch With Beer
If your mom is unbelievably cool, she’ll dig this beer-paired brunch by City Tavern’s Chef Jessica Christensen and Eagle Rock Brewery’s Ting Su. Check out this menu:
- Deviled egg, curried cauliflower paired with Eagle Rock Manifesto
- Heirloom tomato salad with strawberries, buratta, balsamic vinaigrette paired with The Bruery’s Tradewinds Tripel
- Pan-seared salmon with grilled asparagus, roasted fingerling potatoes with Craftsman 1903
- Molten chocolate cake with raspberry and mint syrup with North Coast Old Rasputin
- 12-9pm. $36. City Tavern, 9739 Culver Boulevard, Culver City (map). (310) 838-9739.
For more Mother’s Day brunch options, check out this roundup of spots with plenty of sunshine, booze and nomlicious dishes, some with special Mother’s Day menus.
Monday, May 14
Blue Palms Brewhouse Kicks Off American Craft Beer Week with Firestone Walker
Firestone Walker’s Anniversary XV on tap! Yes! At this special beer event celebrating American craft beer week, it’s gonna be there PLUS Parabola, Velvet Merkin, Wookie Jack and so much more! Firestone Walker kegs will come directly from the brewer! Plus there will be some FW staff there to chat up and congratulate on their 2012 World Beer Cup win!
- 6pm. Blue Palms Brewhouse, 6124 Hollywood Boulevard, Hollywood (map). (323) 464-2337.