When West Hollywood gastropub The Churchill first opened in October 2011, I wanted to like it. But, big problem, the cocktails just weren’t doing it for me. The beverage director back then hailed from sister location, Hudson House, and had concocted this cocktail list of uber sweet and overcomplicated drinks. So unsurprisingly, I haven’t been there since. Fortunately, the folks at The Churchill got wise and have recently brought on Mia Sarazen, a bartender with a killer resume that includes well-respected L.A. drinking spots like The Tasting Kitchen, Areal Restaurant, Black Market Liquor Bar and Harvard & Stone.
Mia’s style skews toward new classics with fresh ingredients, and looking over her new cocktail menu, which debuts next Thursday the 6th, it seems like she’s created the perfect lure for cocktail geeks, while at the same time offering something approachable for the “Skinny Girl” Beverly Center shopping set. Fans of Mia will be happy to see some of their favorites on the list, like her Baby’s First Bourbon from Harvard & Stone as well as her Thirsty in LA, cocktail ode to the LA cocktail blogger of the same name. Hmm, I’m guessing a drink called “Caroline on Crack” wouldn’t go down so well?
Check out the Churchill cocktail menu:
- Amelia: Ketel One, lemon, St. Germaine, violet, blackberries
- Baby’s First Bourbon: Bulleit Bourbon, orgeat, lemon, house bitters
- The Bulldog: Milagro blanco, passion, pineapple, lime, jalapeno
- The Churchill Old Fashioned: Old Fitzgerald bourbon, house bitters, sugar
- The Grand Alliance: Plymouth Gin, Carpano, Campari, maraschino
- The Grapes of Wrath: Kappa Pisco, lime, pineapple, whites, bitters, cinnamon
- Hyde Park Fizz: Nolet’s Gin, Bonal Quina, honey, lime, cucumber, basil, soda
- The Iron Mule: Russian Standard, ginger, lime, soda, bitters
- Norman’s Cable Car: Sailor Jerry rum, curacao, lemon, cinnamon, sugar rim
- Rye 2 Ways: Bulleit Rye, dry vermouth, grenadine, lemon, up, or add Allagash White for Fizzy & Tall
- The Statesman: Famous Grouse Scotch, apricot, lemon, baked apple bitters, sparkling
- Thirsty in LA: Correlejo Reposado, Aperol, Ciociaro Amaro, mezcal rinse
Stay tune as you know I’m gonna check these babies out and will want to tell you about them.