I had a lot to do today but for some reason I felt compelled to do this post. 2012 was a kickass awesome year for me. I went to Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans and Portland Cocktail Week for the first time, got a nice LA Weekly Web Award, my Drink Here app debuted and I scored a gig as the booze blogger for Los Angeles Magazine’s Digest blog. 2012, I salute you. And what better way to remember the year than with a list of my top 50 favorite cocktails? These are listed in chronological order, from January to December 2012.
12. The Eveleigh’s Sangria: South African rose, brandy, Aperol, lavender, apricot, Asian pear, grapes, citrus
17. 1886’s Lebowski Achiever: Smog City Coffee Porter, vodka, creme de cacao by Brady of 1886. Beery deelish White Russian.
19. Playa’s Sol y Sombra: cognac, Mezcal, rye, coffee-infused blanc vermouth, Spanish anisette. Would totally go well with a cigar.
23. The Parish’s Nightshift: bourbon, Czech Fernet, Espresso, Pu-Erh Tea, chocolate syrup and milk
31. 1886’s Ursulines: Sazerac with Cafe du Monde coffee-infused rye, demerara sugar, Creole bitters
32. Playa’s Mexican’t Buy Me Love aka adult horchata with mezcal, anejo, cinnamon bark syrup, horchata, barrel aged bitters canela
43. Picca Peruvian Cantina’s Apricot With Your Pants Down: Pisco, apricot brandy, Cocchi Americano, simple, juniper air. Couldn’t stop myself from guzzling it.
47. Ray’s and Stark Bar’s Phil’s Lamumba: MelettI Chocolate, Terry Centenario brandy, Calisaya Amaro
48. Short Order’s Breakfast with the Duke: Templeton rye, fair coffee liqueur, Connemara Irish whiskey, mole bitters, tobacco aromatics. Chocolate and smoke.
49.The Eveleigh’s Cynar Julep: Cynar, grapefruit, mint, cane sugar