LA has been suffering from a long bout of chilly temperatures. I don’t care if it IS supposed to be winter, I was so over it! And then, wouldn’t you know it, just as soon as it’s finally National Hot Buttered Rum Day again, we get the high 70s. But don’t let that stop you from celebrating regardless! It’ll be cold at night anyway.
I did a Los Angeles Magazine Digest blog roundup of bars and restaurants featuring special Hot Buttered Rum cocktails for the day, many unusual takes on the winter drink, like Sadie’s Hot Buttered Chartreuse and Drago Centro’s Soul of Mayahuel, a hot buttered reposado. But the one that sounds really intriguing is by Naomi Schimek of Hollywood Roosevelt’s Spare Room. It’s a decadent mix of chocolate black tea-infused rum, caramel syrup, Angostura and orange bitters, topped with whipped Chartreuse butter. Mmm, right?
If you can’t make it out tonight, though, Naomi was kind enough to share her recipe so we can all make it at home.
Shhh…..Just Look Pretty
by Naomi Schimek, Spare Room
- 1 dash house orange bitters
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3/4 oz caramel syrup
- 1 3/4 oz. Atlantico Reserva infused with chocolate black tea*
1) Fill a 10 oz. mug with piping hot water and let the glass heat while you build this drink in a cocktail tin.
2) When the mug is heated pour out the water, add the cocktail, and fill the rest of the way with more piping hot water.
3) Add 1 mold of Chartreuse whipped butter** on top and serve.
*To one 750 ml bottle of Atlantico Rum macerate 3T of a good quality chocolate flavored black tea for two hours.
**In your mixer place two sticks of room temperature butter and whip on high for two minutes while drizzling in Green Chartreuse to taste. Spread 1/2 ” high in a rectangular pan lined with wax paper and freeze. Using miniature ridged ring cutters, cut out shapes as you would cookie dough and refrigerate molds until use. Mind you do not use too much Chartreuse or the butter will not set.