Grilled Cheese Truck: Chasing the Cheese

Melted yumminess

Brie and pear melt

When I first heard about the Grilled Cheese Truck last year, in all honesty, I was skeptical. “I don’t know if I want my cheese melted from some grill on a truck,” I thought. But then when the truck hit the streets in October, I found myself chasing after it. Unfortunately, so was everyone else. Seemed like every time it docked somewhere a huge line followed. Bah!

Chalk it up to its extensive menu of melts. You won’t find just grilled American cheese sandwiches here but a cheesey mac and rib melt, a Harvest melt with roasted butternut squash and even a variety of sweet melts like roasted banana puree, marshmallow and Nutella. Mmm!

From the Grilled Cheese Truck site:

…we realized that this world needed more grilled cheese sandwiches brought to the streets. Not just the classic bread, butter and cheese, but amazing creations that are constructed with the best ingredients, local produce and made with nothing but love.

But yeah, those lines. Even when it parks near my job in Santa Monica I couldn’t wait for it. My lunch hour is only an hour long after all. I resigned myself to perhaps never getting a chance to try that grilled goodness.

But then Grilled Cheese Truck’s Dave Danhi saw my whiny complaints about the lines on Twitter and offered to hook me up. “If u wanna go, lemme know and I’ll get u in the back door… No line for you. Dave.” AWESOMENESS!

Grilled Cheese Truck lunch crowd

This is only the front of the line.

So of course I took him up on that, calling him up and placing my order for the new and scrumptious-sounding brie, Bosch pear and honey melt on cranberry walnut bread — a replacement for the caprese melt til tomatoes are back in season.

After a short run to the ATM and then over to the truck, my sandwich was ready and waiting for me. Just as Dave said, I didn’t have to wait in the long line on the passenger side of the truck. I felt kinda like a jerk for cutting in line, but fortunately that crowd didn’t see me as Dave instructed me to pick up my sandwich on the driver side of the truck.

Now, the sandwiches range in price from $3 to $7 but the guy in the truck said my melt was on the house. Sweet! That was so nice of Dave. But then I realized, hmm, maybe this was just a ploy to get me hooked. Like they say, the first one is free..and then you find yourself coming back for more.

After I devoured that brie melt, I’m totally going to do that. I must have another one as it contains some of my most favorite ingredients all in one sammich. Sure, it’s probably not enough for most people. But if that’s the case, you can always order a side of tots ($3) or tomato soup ($2/cup), too.

To find out where the truck will be next, check out the calendar at the bottom of their site. The good news is that they go all over the place from the South Bay to Altadena to Venice. The bad news is everyone is chasing them, too.

Twitter: @grlldcheesetruk

10 Responses to Grilled Cheese Truck: Chasing the Cheese
  1. TERI REES WANG
    February 17, 2010 | 9:48 am

Hot damn!

2. MyLastBite
    February 17, 2010 | 9:52 am

Oh I am SO GONNA whine about not trying grilled cheese truck yet… TWITTER here I come!!!

(kidding… but still haven’t tried!)

3. Diana
    February 17, 2010 | 10:37 am

I’ve been a little terrified of it, but the cheesey mac and rib melt has me a little bit curious.

Though I think I’d have to do A LOT of chasing to make up for the indulgence!

4. Jennie
    February 17, 2010 | 10:49 am

Like you, I had chased the truck for weeks. I had high hopes for my roast beef & tomato sandwich I tried a few weeks back, but it wasn’t very melted. Unfortunately, the tater tots were more exciting than my sandwich. Wonder if I should give it another try… everyone loves a grilled cheese sandwich.

5. Meredith
    February 17, 2010 | 11:55 am

Thank goodness the truck started coming to santa monica round lunchtime because I was getting sick of chasing it. That harvest melt is delectible. And go for the garlic dipping sauce (tots optional). I’m still thinking about it.

February 17, 2010 | 12:00 pm

Teri,
    Right?

MyLastBite,
    Yup, I guess there’s something to be said about the squeakiest wheel getting the grilled cheese or however that saying goes.

Diana,
    That mac and rib melt is too much sin for me, I think. But you eat it and let me know how it is. 🙂

Jennie,
    Actually I was thinking that my sammich could use a touch of salt but otherwise it was deelish.

Meredith,
    That Harvest Melt is on my list.

7. Ankur
    February 17, 2010 | 1:30 pm

Ive tried it in the past, and thought it was a lil soggy. Great effort though!

February 17, 2010 | 1:43 pm

Mine wasn’t soggy. And if yours was given its price and ingredients, that’s a small price to pay, no?

9. Emilie
    February 17, 2010 | 5:46 pm

The lines forming from TGCT is ridiculous. How ridiculous? I was once #154. I wouldn’t wait in line that long again but I have been successful in being first in line just takes a little planning. Hope to see you in line fellow melter 🙂

10. Tara
    February 18, 2010 | 3:36 pm

I’m jelaous, I’ve tweeted to them before, but never heard back. I’m a big cheese fan but have yet to spot the infamous truck. Now that I’m up in Glendale at Disney, not sure if I will or not (hint hint to the Grilled Cheese Truck!).