CoC's Giving Up Booze for Lent

I'm so thirsty.

I'm so thirsty.

For Lent, I decided to give up booze. Now, I’m not religious or anything, I just figured it would be cool to see if I can actually give up my most favorite thing (next to gummy bears, salted caramel, dark chocolate and bacon) for 40 days. That, and I felt like my liver could use the break.

It’s only 40-something days, right?

I started on February 17 and since this isn’t really for Lent, my booze fast will end on April 1 (see countdown clock on the right) when I’m considering doing up a happy hour somewhere to celebrate cuz I’m going to want to. Perhaps Copa d’Oro? Maybe Bar Food? I’ll keep you posted.

So 21 days into it and I’ve managed to survive Radio Room, post-race celebration (my Lemons team’s third victory) and an absinthe party at First & Hope with nary a drink. I’ve had dreams of drinking and have suffered bouts of dry mouth but I will stick to this fast dammit!

In the meantime, I’m compiling a list of things I like to drink as soon as it’s April 1*. Sigh. I’m so thirsty.

1. Maker’s Manhattan

2. Sazerac

3. Eleven Madison’s Dukes Martini (in NYC)

4. 8 oz. Requiem Espresso Stout Float

5. Milkshake Madness at BLD

6. Rickhouse’s Kentucky Buck (in San Francisco)

7. Ice cream with bourbon at the Mercantile

8. Sam Adams’ Utopias

9. Drago Centro‘s Pikesville Rye Manhattan (only $5!)

10. LAMill’s Black & Black

11. ’95 Knappogue Castle single malt

12. Rivera’s The Dude Abides: “A deconstructed White Russian” with pecan tincture and cinnamon

This list will no doubt continue to grow as the days progress.

And if you think this blog will be booze free, you’re wrong. I’ll still post drinking events and such but I won’t review cocktails unless I can get a taste tester to do it in my place. And I’ll definitely review options for those who don’t drink, like tasty mocktails. FYI, ginger beer is definitely the most satisfying way to go. It’s heartier and more flavorful than cola or gingerale. Anyway, at least my friends are happy cuz now they have a designated driver.

UPDATE: I moved my end-of-booze-fast date to March 28 since I got invited to a scotch lunch that I just can’t turn down. I don’t feel too guilty about it since 1) this was supposed to be Lent lite where I was going to allow myself some alcohol anyway and 2) I had originally said I’d end this on the 29th (actual 40 days) and then pushed it to April to round it out.

13 Responses to CoC's Giving Up Booze for Lent
  1. samk
    March 9, 2010 | 6:36 pm

Yay EMP! Esther was just there a few months ago, she can tell you all about it!

(My favorite restaurant)

2. Six Flags Magic Mountain
    March 9, 2010 | 8:49 pm

Hang in there, April isn’t that far away and that drink will taste all that much better.

3. fauxlahipster
    March 9, 2010 | 9:55 pm

you’re gonna get so wasted on april 1 LOL

March 10, 2010 | 12:10 am

Samk,
    Can’t wait to check it out. I forget who was telling me about that martini but I’ve been craving it ever since.

SFMM,
    Thanks, amusement park! 🙂

fauxlahipster,
    We’llll see. Will you be around?

5. fauxlahipster
    March 10, 2010 | 12:12 am

sadly no 🙁 i leave for tanzania on mar 23rd

6. […] I used the extra money I saved to purchase an extra scoop of ice cream ($3) for dessert and a pint of vanilla bourbon ice cream ($7) to go, which by the way was sooo bourbony and delicious that I felt like I was cheating on my booze fast. […]

7. yolanda
    March 10, 2010 | 12:28 pm

. Better you then me. I have no will power. and when you do start drinking again, I will buy you one because, girl you have a long list

8. green LA girl
    March 11, 2010 | 7:39 am

Join the club! I’m on a break from booze too — though not for lent. Started New Year’s and going for 100 days — April 10! Good luck —

March 11, 2010 | 3:45 pm

yolanda,
    That list is growing!

green LA girl,
    Wow! It’s hard enough as it is for me to do 40+ days! Good on you!

10. […] I did this stone sober because I’m in the midst of a booze fast but this would probably have been a lot more fun and swirly if I had had a couple of cocktails […]

11. Kate @ Savour Fare
    March 18, 2010 | 2:10 pm

Mmm. Have a Manhattan at Cole’s. They’re really good.

And in the meantime, make yourself some bacon chocolate brownies.

March 18, 2010 | 2:13 pm

It’s funny that you say that. I found that ever since I gave up booze my sweet tooth cravings have been amplified. So, I haven’t lost weight by cutting out liquor only because I keep eating sweets! At my desk right now, I have a box of TJ’s whole grain chocolate chip cookie bites, gummy bears, fleur de sel caramels and a Sweet Square dessert bar! My roommate, who also cut out liquor this month, has been experiencing the same crazy cravings.

Having said all that, mmm bacon chocolate brownies!!!

13. […] from Huckleberry, Schat’s cinnamon pecan loaf and salted caramels at my desk. I blame the booze fast which has only served to aggravate my sweet tooth. Always snacking now. So you can imagine how […]